Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Sacred moments

Occasionally, I like to look back through my blog to see what I was feeling at a particular moment. In looking back, I found a common idea in several, if not the majority, of my blog posts.

Prayer.

I have said it before and I will say it again, I BELIEVE IN THE POWER OF PRAYER.

I want to share with you one of the most sacred moments of prayer I have ever experienced. On December 18, 2009 an amazing group of people came together to pray for my son. This was the last day of school before Christmas. This is one of those days that I will never forget. We had only known about my sweet Eli for a couple of weeks during this time. The wounds were still raw and open. We were trying to figure out how we would live without this little life I was growing in my belly. We had no idea what we were in for. We had no idea the bittersweet blessing that carrying to term would be. We determined to make the most out of every second with Eli. We were praying and hoping for a miracle healing. All the while, others determined to pray for us as well. There were so many praying. It is almost overwhelming to think about. There were a group of women that I worked with that decided to hold a weekly prayer time for Eli. They posted verses and updates on the prayer board in the copy room. They are more of a blessing to me than they will ever know. On December 18, we had the first of these special times of prayer. That time was almost indescribable. When I walked into that classroom, there were so many people there. Fellow teachers, my principals, office staff, lunchroom staff, support staff...they were all there. We gathered in a circle, with me in the center and they placed there hands on me. Those that could not placed their hands on someone else and we prayed. I lost my composure and sobbed. A public school was completely united in prayer. God was present in that classroom. So many took their turn to pray and each and everyone of those prayers means so much to me...as much to me now as they did then. There was nothing in that room during those moments but God and ernest pleas from a wonderful group of people.  God's promise is,  20For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them. That verse can be found in Matthew chapter 18. That day is just one of those days in a persons life that will be forever etched in my mind and heart. God was present that day because we gathered in His name.
You know, He did not answer our prayers exactly like we asked them, but He did answer them.

Oh what a sweet hour of prayer can do...

Much love,

8 comments:

  1. I strongly believe in the power of prayer myself! What a blessing to have such a group to pray for you. You are very loved as is Eli :)
    (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely believe in the power of prayer. I remember countless times when I fasted and prayed and the Lord did miraculous things! He did not always come when I expected or when I needed him to, but he always showed up during the final hour.

    How sweet that your entire colleagues rallied around you to lift you up in prayer. If only all our schools were like that then the cattiness we face daily would disappear. Lifting you up in prayer and thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a precious memory and testimony of faith. Thank you for sharing that with us. God is so good and He truly is present in a mighty way when 2 or more are gathered in His name. (Of course, He's promised that He'll never leave us nor forsake us - so He's with us when we're by ourselves too.) Prayer is such a blessing and precious when shared with other believers. I once had a friend say that if fellowship with other believers is so wonderful here on earth, it made her very anxious to enjoy it in heaven. How true. :)
    Love you and praying for you all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too believe that prayer is powerful!! I know I am so, so thankful for the many prayers that we received and still continue to receive. I have no doubt that it helped us get through everything.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am working towards trying to understand the reason for our loss. In doing so, I am finding that God does what is best, although it may not seem that way at first. In the long run, there is a "larger" reasoning.
    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have tears reading this. I believe so desperately in its power---every when the answer is not the answer we are hoping for. Lots of love xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful testimony of leaning on Him...even when we don't get the answers we desire. What a powerful testimony those coworkers displayed and you in understanding that God works through prayer. Love this post and will carry it my heart today!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Words cannot ever even convey how much gratitude I have for the many, many people who pray and continue to pray for us!!! Especially on those days where I simply am at a loss for my own words...and thankful the Holy Spirit knows just what to pray!

    ReplyDelete