Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Are you one in a million?

I was issued a challenge and generally I love a good challenge.  This challenge struck a chord with me right off the bat before I really even knew what it was about.  Blog Frog sent me an email concerning a campaign to raise awareness and money to combat infant mortality.  They have teamed up with several BIG names including ABC News.  The challenge was one to spread the word...Tweet about it, blog about it, Facebook about it.  I must say, there efforts are noble.  The cause is a good one...but good grief does it cut like a knife!

You see, I am part of this community...this community that no one wants to be a part of.  A community of baby loss moms.  I am one of their statistics, except that they are really more focused on infant mortality outside of the United States.  My heart bleeds for those mothers who have buried their babies, whether it be at birth or one year of age.  My heart bleeds for the families of those mothers who lost their lives in childbirth.  It is sad and senseless.  Believe me, I know firsthand.  I thought I did everything right.  I had prenatal care, I took my vitamins, I ate healthy foods.  I had access to all of those things that many mothers do not and it still did not matter.  It was a fluke they said...nothing you did or didn't do.  It just happened.  His kidneys failed to form.  My body failed to make it right for him. I would not want any person on earth to know the utter despair and brokeness of burying a baby.  That is why I feel like this campaign is a good thing.  Yet, when I stop for a minute and think about it, I wonder why we can't mount a million person campaign against say abortion...needless, senseless killing of unborn babies.  Where are a million people that will say enough...no more babies born addicted to drugs? Where are a million people that will come forward and make a stand for mother's who are struggling with infertility?  These women want the opportunity to say I am one in a million, but for many that dream is unattainable for what ever reason. 

I am so conflicted about this.  One side of my heart says this is a great thing they are doing.  The other side says maybe the powers that be should have taken a step back on this one and put more thought into their efforts. 

Am I completely off base?  I am just curious what other's feelings on this are. 

3 comments:

  1. You are such an amazing Mama that you instinctively want to help everyone!!!! Proud to call you my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said..I know what it is like to struggle with infertility, and it would be nice for people to take a stand for those people who want nothing more then to be a mother...Being a part of any of these communities is not something I would have ever wished for, but I am truly thankful for all of the wonderful people like you that I have met as a result...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you make some really good points. I don't think you're off base at all. All the points you mentioned are very important and we do need to be lifting folks up in prayer while dealing with the heart ache of living in a fallen world. (I know abortion is a different issue. You're right - the truth needs to be shared. It's heartbreaking.). Thank you for thinking out loud and allowing us to benefit. :)

    ReplyDelete